Senior Advisor - Iraq National Security Strategy
Culmen International is recruiting for three Senior Advisors who will work with the Government of Iraq (GOI) to implement the GOI’s national security strategy. These Advisors support the Department of State’s Global Defense Reform Program (GDRP) and will work as a team undertaking quarterly visits to and quarterly work in Baghdad, Iraq. Some work will be performed remotely as well.
Established in 2004, Culmen International is committed to enhancing international security, strengthening homeland defense, optimizing government operations, and providing humanitarian assistance around the world. We provide technical and management expertise, develop innovative technology solutions, and deliver youth care services, logistics, training, and language services worldwide. With experience in over 126 countries, Culmen supports our clients to accomplish critical missions in challenging environments.
Through GDRP, the United States seeks to provide an intermittent advisory team to the Government of Iraq’s (GOI) Working Group on Defense and International Security (WG) as part of the GOI’s overall security sector reform (SSR) framework. The Advisory Team will work with the WG on the GOI’s overall security sector reform framework. The Advisory Team will work to ensure that the GOI’s SSR Committee increases utilization of the WG system to target and support the rollout of select strategic reforms tied to the NSS. The Advisory Team will work to improve inter-ministerial communication and internal policy development with respect to proposed internal reforms and their implementation timelines.
The roles and responsibilities of each advisor include but are not limited to:
- Strategic Planning
- Focus on the utilization of the WG to guide and support the rollout of strategic reforms tied to the updated National Security Strategy
- Policy Development
- Assist the GOI, WG, and key national security organizations as appropriate, to adopt and apply internal policies that bolster reorientation of defense priorities
- Assist the GOI, and WG members as appropriate, in developing the institutional capacity required to advance security sector reform initiatives tied to the NSS
- Interagency Communication
- Assist the GOI to increase inter-ministerial communication on proposed internal reforms, policy developments, and their respective timetables
- Act as trusted advisor for the GOI’s SSR Committee; providing technical assistance to build the institutional capacity of the GOI and key national security organizations in support of the overarching objectives
- Coordinate with the U.S. Embassy Baghdad Political Section
- Where other barriers to institutional change with regards to NSS implementation exist, identify these barriers, make recommendations to overcome them, and, where possible, work to address them in support of the desired end state
Basic Qualifications of each of the three advisors:
- 15+ years of professional experience working in the security sector
- 5+ years of experience in strategic planning or interagency coordination
- 5+ years of experience advising foreign military or senior government officials
- Minimum rank of O-6 in the military or equivalent in a civilian capacity
- Experience with individual and organizational capacity building and aptitude to share knowledge, mentor, and coach others
- Experience working or living in a developing country for a minimum of one year
- Experience working with service, combatant, strategic, or ministerial level headquarters (
- Proficient in Arabic at a level equivalent to DLPT 3/3 or Foreign Service Institute 3/3
- Secret Clearance
- Master’s degree in areas such as National Security, Homeland Security, Public Policy, International Relations, or a similar field
- US Citizenship
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
- Minimum rank of O-7 in the military or equivalent in a civilian capacity
- Proficiency in Arabic at a level equivalent to DPLT 4/3 or Foreign Service Institute 4/3.
At Culmen International we are committed to creating, promoting, and sustaining a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our commitment to these values is unwavering across all our work around the world. We include and celebrate employees of diverse races, genders, religions, sexual orientations, ethnicities, nationalities, socioeconomic statuses, languages, (dis)abilities, ages, and religious commitments. These differences drive innovative solutions to meet the needs of our employees and clients. Culmen is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply and learn more about the opportunity: